Becoming dependent on drugs or alcohol for socialization can further limit an individual’s natural ability to socialize. Therefore, when the individual decides to abstain from using drugs or alcohol, they may experience even greater anxiety. While various social media sites attract certain types of users, Facebook is a good example of a general social network. When you join Facebook, you may know some other people who use the site and add them as friends.
Maybe the right call is to leave the scene; maybe it’s an opportunity to open up to your old friend about your sobriety. But having someone to buck you up in these unfamiliar or uncomfortable situations can make all the difference. Part of having a healthy sober network is having people in your corner, ready to step in and help out when toxic situations arise.
Reaching Recovery: The Importance of Sober Networks
However, they should all encourage your decision to enter recovery. While you might not know what to do with it at first, embrace the call list. Try to make a connection with one person at the meeting by sending a text or making a brief phone call. Some social networking sites have a “group” element that helps users find people with similar interests or engage in discussions on certain topics. A group can be anything from “Johnson High Class of ’98” and “People Who Like Books” to “Doors Fans.”
- Because many individuals want to belong, being a part of a sober group can increase your confidence and self-esteem in your interpersonal relationships – it bestows a feeling of acceptance.
- They also help boost business productivity when used for public relations, marketing, and advertising purposes.
- If you or a loved one are struggling with mental health or substance abuse, we can help.
- This may account for its popularity with those who want (or need) to get lots of messages out to the world and those who want to follow these social or newsy types.
- The first thing that you’ll want to do is to make sure that you’re properly educated about substance abuse, recovery, and the future challenges that you will be facing.
- Therefore, you should try not to get discouraged as you meet new people.
Businesses can use social networking to build a brand, sell products, grow a customer base, and strengthen customer relationships and service. Social networks are important because they allow people to develop relationships that might not be possible due to distances of place and time. They also help boost business productivity when used for public relations, marketing, and advertising purposes. Instagram is a social network that focuses on sharing visual media like photos and videos. It’s similar to Facebook in that users create a profile and have a news feed. It allows them to upload media that can be edited with filters and organized by hashtags and geographical tagging.
However, while the platform encourages publicly available content, it also has privacy controls that can restrict access to, for instance, friends. For example, a frequent X user may learn about a company for the first time through a news feed and decide to buy a product or service. The more exposed people are to a company’s brand, the greater the company’s chances of finding and retaining new customers. If you are attempting to include people in your support group who have been hurt or damaged by your addiction, don’t get upset if they are slow to warm up to you.
- Some social networking sites have a “group” element that helps users find people with similar interests or engage in discussions on certain topics.
- Some involve a series of steps through which members must progress to complete the program.
- If you don’t have anyone to rely on when you were struggling with cravings or difficult emotions, it becomes all the more easier to relapse.
Social networks dedicated to a specific theme, such as music or movies, might need you to supply more information about the topic. For example, dating websites are social networks that focus on making love matches, so you need to be clear about who you are and sober network properties what you’re looking for so you can find a compatible person. The more you interact with a social media site like Facebook, the more your network of friends and interests will grow. It’s similar to networking in real life, for example at a business conference.
Social support networks provide more opportunities
Club Soda bills itself as the “Mindful Drinking Movement” and was designed for those who want to cut down, stop briefly, or quit drinking altogether. It offers a “How to Drink Mindfully” program and also a one-month reset refresher course. Club Soda also published a book, “How to Be a Mindful Drinker,” and has a monthly podcast with tips to change your drinking, events, and interviews. However, it’s important to remember that 12-step programs are not for everyone. Some people may find the religious language at the core of AA and NA alienating. These programs are often considered a first-line treatment for people in recovery.
- As you connect with others who are in recovery, you will likely find yourself feeling more hopeful, optimistic, and inspired about your own life in treatment.
- To substitute this type of shallow camaraderie, it is better to think about other ventures where you can instantly be welcomed by the group, merely for making an appearance.
- Sometimes it can be difficult to transition from addiction treatment back to your normal life and responsibilities.
- Prominent within the LifeRing philosophy is the idea of the “Sober Self,” or the part of you that has the power to overcome addiction.
- From seeking professional addiction treatment to building a sober support network, there are many individuals you can lean on throughout recovery.
- The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Tagging is another common element of social networking sites, particularly Facebook and Instagram. If you post a photo of several people, you can identify another person in the photo by tagging them, usually by clicking on the picture and adding their name. Since social networking thrives on interaction, comments are an important element. Whether you comment that someone’s baby is cute or make a pointed political observation, comments create conversations and boost the synergy of social networking.
This is why a healthy support system during recovery can make a world of difference. There’s no right or wrong way to approach finding support from others during recovery and sobriety. It’s all about trying different things and discovering what works best for you. Community can make all the difference in recovery and sober living. Celebrate milestones by acknowledging your achievements with your sober network.